February 11, 2022

STORY OF MAN WHO STARTED BUSINESS AFTER SUCKED BY JOB

 I'm not proud of this.


It was long time ago.
 
So don't judge me, when I tell you this.
 
But I was a little unkind to this guy when I used to work in London back in the day. Nice guy but full of stories, he was. 
 
And I don’t mean those stories we love to hear.  His stories were very much fantasies. Pipe dreams. Call them what you will. No action whatsoever. You know the kind?
 
He was 25 yrs old, obsessed with leaving the 9 to 5 and starting his own business. 

"I'm not going to work for someone so else for the rest of my life," he'd repeat every day.
 
And my eyes rolled every time I heard these recycled dreams he called plans.
 
He'd full follow up with, "One day it will happen. I'll be my own boss."
 
And the response in my head was, “I’m not too sure about that. If you were going to do it, you would have done it by now, pal”
 
"People who take risks will reap the rewards later in life," he'd preach.
 
And again I'd shake my head in internally, "Well, I hate to break it to you but you just haven't got what it takes"
 
Then one day, he moved out to Manchester (150 miles north of London).  A new beginning for him he said, but he reiterated that he still had plans to set his own business. Just not now. 

It wasn't quite the right time.
 
Then he got married and had a baby girl. His excuse then was, "I just need a little more time to settle".

And the excuses went on. And on.

Then one day, when his kid turned one, he lost his job. Just like that. And you know what?
 
That hit me like a punch in the gut. I felt sick to the stomach. The news absolutely, floored me.
 
You want to know why?
 
Because that guy was me.
 
See, I used to tell myself stories all the time. I'd sell myself dreams of setting up my own business and doing great things all the time.

But then immediately after, I’d tell myself reasons why I couldn't. This cycle went on.

Imposter syndrome, confidence, job security, fear of failing.....I don't know what it was...Maybe all of them.

But I tell you what. Losing my job forced me to do all the things I wish I'd done sooner. It made me take action. I had no choice. But I made them happen because I also changed my mindset from 'maybe' to 'have to.'

If there's one bit of advice I could give to my 25-year-old self it would be this.
 
When you refuse to let the negative stories stop you from taking action, I promise, amazing things will begin to happen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

All the postings of mine in this whole forum can be the same with anyone in the world of the internet. Am just doing a favor for our forum users to avoid searching everywhere. I am trying to give all interesting informations about Finance, Culture, Herbals, Ayurveda, phycology, Sales, Marketing, Communication, Mythology, Quotations, etc. Plz mail me your requirement - amit.knp@rediffmail.com

BRAND Archetypes through lens -Indian-Brands

There has been so much already written about brand archetypes and this is certainly not one more of those articles. In fact, this is rather ...